Minimalist boots are as functional as shoes get. They are generally hardy and comfortable, and many modern designs are made to be stylish, too. Since they’re meant to provide a little more protection than other types of minimalist shoes, they are often weather-resistant and crafted with better-than-average materials.
The best minimalist boots for men and women are versatile enough to carry you from a hiking trip or a backpacking adventure, to chilly nights at the bar with some old friends. On the other hand, you may just be in need of most comfortable work boots or hiking boots that you’d only wear on the trail. Regardless, finding the best shoes and boots is always an investment, and when they happen to be minimalist boots, they’re perfect for most casual occasions and outdoor activities.
If it’s time for you to get a new pair, you probably want them to be comfortable, stylish, durable or all of the above. This list of the best minimalist boots for men and women will be the ultimate guide to getting your boot collection in order.
Best Minimalist Boots for Men
1. Altama OTB Maritime Assault Fin Friendly Mid Cut Operators Boots
Altama has been in the business of making high-quality tactical boots for years. This minimalist boot is supposedly built for battle (as are all of their shoes) but honestly, it’s perfectly fine to wear it to the mall. With a tough rubber outsole and no-slip grip, this pair of boots is for those who have to spend countless hours on their feet, whether for work or play. The Ultron PU contoured insole doesn’t absorb water, while non-metallic drain ports allow for quick and easy water drainage, making these boots just as good for rainy days as they are for dryness.
- Featuring non-shine, rust-proof lace hardware, even the smallest parts of these boots are durable;
- They’re available in six awesome colors: Coyote, Black, Grey, Black Multicam, Multicam and Olive Drab.
2. Red Wing Heritage Men's Iron Ranger 6" Vibram Boot
Red Wing makes minimalist footwear of impeccable quality, and footwear that fits your lifestyle. It’s no surprise then, that this pair of minimalist boots is crafted with high-quality materials and attention to detail, which is exactly what makes it worthy of being on a list of the best minimalist boots this year. Made from 100% natural leather and nitrile cork (the soles), these striking rustic boots are ideal for the man with rugged style. The slightly raised heel and intricate stitching pattern are the difference between these and a forgettable pair of boots. Since they’re made from uncompromisingly durable materials, you can expect these boots to last you a really long time.
- Triple stitches mean this minimalist boot will never come apart;
- A bump toe at the front gives your feet extra comfort.
3. UGG Mens Hannen TL Boot
UGG boots are considered some of the top shoes for many reasons: comfort, style, quality and so much more. This particular pair of is lined with signature uggpure wool for unbelievable warmth and comfort, making these one of the best minimalist boots for cold weather. A fairly high shaft gives them a hipster appeal, so if you’re a trendy man, they’ll be irresistible to you. But apart from style and comfort, these minimalist shoes offer the kind of quality that’ll keep them in your closet for years to come - they’re made from leather and feature a synthetic sole.
- The seam-sealed construction of this minimalist boot is designed to be waterproof;
- A treadlite outsole offers additional cushioning and traction.
4. ARIAT Men's Rambler Wide Square Toe Western Cowboy Boot
ARIAT is a brand that takes craftmanship seriously, something that’s very clear in this minimalist boot. We’re tempted to say that these boots were made for walking, but they’re also made for horse-riding and nights out on the town. They’re made from 100% leather with a Duratread sole, and their distinctly Western style is truly only for the fashionably bold. The distressed, leather appearance makes for a rustic, laid-back finish.
- A square-toe shape at the front of the boot offers more room and comfort;
- Decorative stitching for that classic cowboy appeal!
5. Sorel - Men's Madson Moc Toe Waterproof Leather Boots
Made from high-quality nubuck, these minimalist boots are designed to look and feel good for daily wear, to keep your feet comfortable while you’re running errands and doing everything else that life demands of you. Their seam-sealed construction is a lifesaver when it comes to wet weather conditions, while the molded rubber outsole is a quality measure that makes them last longer than you’d expect. Not only are these boots stylish, but they’re ultra-light, which means that your fashion sense won’t come at the expense of your comfort.
- With a nubuck leather upper, this minimalist boot is waterproof;
- This shoe is available in 13 trendy colors.
6. Danner Men’s Tachyon 8” Duty Boots
These duty boots are surprisingly light yet durable. While they are not necessarily heavy-duty shoes, they do provide lots of comfort and durability for non-frontline activities, putting less strain on your feet. They’re ideal for light activities, which makes sense considering their almost non-existent weight. And because these boots are extremely light, they are also comfortable. Available in 5 neutral colors, they’re really ideal for the man on duty.
- These boots slide in easily and fit just right (they’re true to size), so you don’t have to break them in;
- Breathable fabric in this minimalist boot provides enough ventilation for your feet.
7. Thursday Boot Company President Men's Lace-up Boot
Thursday Boots is a brand that’s all about quality minimalist footwear, with a price tag that matches. You’re getting exactly what you pay for: stylish, high-quality boots. Smart and elegant, this lace-up minimalist boot is somehow both casual and smart-casual, so it can be worn for special events, but also on an ordinary day. The shoe is made from tough leather, with a rubber outsole, and it’s available in a deep brown and a pitch black. If you hate conspicuous branding on shoes, this pair will be particularly pleasing to you. Since the boots do not feature any external branding, the only thing that reminds you that they’re Thursday Boots (and the best minimalist boots you could possible wear) is their respectable quality.
- Let your feet take comfort in the fully lined supple glove leather interior;
- Premium flat waxed cotton laces mean that even the smallest details of these minimalist boots are of the highest quality.
8. Dr. Martens Men's Tobias Boot
Dr Martens makes minimalist footwear for the individualist. With a matte appearance and glossy black eyelets, this pair of boots is definitely a style statement. Although simple and minimal in character, these boots still manage to stand out. It must be the impeccable quality, and an overall no-nonsense shape. Despite how hardcore and bulky they look, these minimalist boots are actually super light and not made for kicking people in the neck or stomping of any kind, no matter how much you’re tempted.
- A Waffle Sole makes them as light as possible;
- Airwair soles for the ultimate comfort!
9. Clarks Men's Tilden Zip Waterproof Boot Ankle
Simple and sophisticated, these ankle boots are a great ‘slip on and go’ option. The smooth synthetic linings and durable rubber outsole on these minimalist boots give them a balance between style and quality craftsmanship. Their inside zipper closure not only ensures that they’re easy to put on, but also adds a subtle, fashionable detail. Since they’re primarily dress boots, they can be worn with minimalist, semi-formal outfits. And as strong and durable as they are, they are still designed to be comfortable, with a removable Ortholite footbed.
- Waterproof full-grain leather and rubber soles make these boots just as good for rain as they are for shine;
- 1-inch heel height is neither too high nor too low.
10. Vivobarefoot Gobi Utility, Mens Winter Lace Up Desert Boot
The comfort of sneakers with the sophisticated appeal of a good minimalist boot? Say no more. Made from durable recycled vegan RPET Cordura fabric, these boots are definitely as comfy as they look. Their soles are designed to give you traction over wet, cold or muddy surfaces, so you’ll never have to fear slipping on rainy or snowy days. That, coupled with their edgy, urban style, makes these boots great for everyday wear by the modern man.
- Available in two colors: Dusty olive and Black;
- Apart from style and comfort, these minimalist shoes are exceptionally warm.
Best Minimalist Boots for Women
11. Dr. Martens Women's Pascal 8-Eye Boot W Combat
Dr Martens boots are made with self-expression at the core of their ethos, so it’s no surprise that this pair is available in 25 colors that range from the muted to the iridescent. These combat boots were made for the woman with an unapologetically daring fashion sense and, quite frankly, there’s nothing not to love about them. They’re made from 100% leather, with synthetic soles that are non-slip and air-cushioned for extra comfort. And they’re truly as durable as they look - the heat-sealed leather uppers and soles are a testament.
- These classic shoes feature iconic lug soles and heel pull tabs;
- The heel is approximately 2 inches high, while the platform is 0.50 inches.
12. Sorel - Women's Emelie Conquest Waterproof Boot
Both functional and stylish, this pair of Sorel boots is beautifully rustic. With impeccable attention to detail, Sorel manages to make these minimalist boots waterproof with intricate seaming. They’re available in three stunning colors, each one fitting into the hues of the colder months. Admittedly, it is a more casual pair of boots, but nothing really stops you from making it a little smarter with a long coat over a crisp semi-formal shirt.
- These women’s boots feature canvas and synthetic lining;
- Upper material is full-grain leather and coated canvas.
13. UGG Women's Reid Winter Boot
When UGG made this shoe, they certainly had unbeatable comfort in mind, because everything about these minimalist boots is designed to give your feet the treatment they deserve. The high-quality suede material for these boots is sourced in Australia, and is stitched together with flawless attention to detail. But just because these shoes are all about the comfort, it doesn’t mean they’re any less stylish than other seasonal trends. They’re simply cute, with non-functional suede lace detail that adds a touch of complexity to the minimal design.
- These shoes are supported by a flexible rubber outsole;
- A medial zipper and soft materials make them super easy to slip on.
14. Vivobarefoot Women's Tracker FG L Leather Walking Shoe
If you love the outdoors and are always involved in a great trek somewhere, these barefoot boots for women may quickly become your best friend. They’re fashionable and functional, with a list of features that make them ideal for long walks and minor hiking trails. Not only are they hardy, but they’re also warm, thanks to the thermal protection and winter proof design. And honestly, for boots that do this much, these zero drop boots are beautiful to look at, too!
- These barefoot shoes are easy to clean, and a damp cloth is usually enough to removed mud and dust;
- Designed for the great outdoors, this pair of minimalist boots is also waterproof!
15. Sorel - Women's Out n About Plus Boots
The name of these minimalist shoes should give you a hint on what they’re best for: keeping your feet utterly taken care of while you’re out doing what you need to do. A molded EVA footbed with a fluffy lining cushions your feet no matter where you go, not to mention how warm the faux shearling is. At first glance, these shoes barely look water resistant, but they’re actually altogether waterproof. A textile-suede combination and seam-sealed construction allow you to walk through puddles in confidence. And with a slip-proof herringbone outsole, you don’t have to worry about how slippery it gets either.
- Available in 17 stunning colors;
- High-quality materials make this a pair of minimalist boots that’ll last for years.
16. Vivobarefoot Gobi Hi, Womens Leather Lace Up Winter Boot
Made for daily activities like running errands, this minimalist boot is designed to carry you no matter where you go. The pair is comfortably flat, and made from wild hide leather with a warm faux fur lining for additional warmth. And for those rainy days, you can walk with great traction over wet, cold and muddy surfaces. If you’re a sucker for a barefoot boot that can keep you on your feet for hours, these will definitely tick all the right boxes for you.
- Simply wash with soap and water to keep them clean,
- Hide leather and faux fur make these zero drop boots soft and supple.
17. Dr. Martens Women's Emmeline Boot
This smooth and polished pair of boots by Dr Martens is a balance between edgy and elegant. Depending on how you style them, you can be punk chic, or prep-girl cool. They’re made with leather, and feature air-cushioned soles. Despite their bulky appearance, these modern minimalist boots aren’t hard on the feet at all. But they’re tough, durable and built to last.
- With slip-resistant soles, you can wear these confidently in the rain;
- A clean, minimalist design allows you to pair these boots with all kinds of outfits for most kinds of occasions.
18. Xero Shoes Vienna - Women's Canvas Ankle Boots
These Xero shoes are made for the woman on the move. With a natural fit that leaves lots of wiggle room for your toes, these barefoot shoes are irresistibly comfortable and ideal for extensive time on your feet. As a zero drop shoe, this pair is meant to be more comfortable than most, and it only makes sense that this boot is extremely lightweight, with a size 7 being no more than 8.4 ounces. You can expect to have lots of happy days on your feet with these minimalist boots; and since they’re so simple, they’re match well with most casual outfits!
- These boots are 100% vegan-friendly – they’re made from a durable cotton canvas upper and synthetic toe cap and ankle accents;
- They feature 5.5mm FeelTrue soles, giving them a natural feel.
19. Vibram Women's Furoshiki Mid Boot Russian Felt
If ever there were a perfect minimalist boot, it’d have to be this one by Vibram. Just from the look of it, you can tell that this is a seriously warm pair of shoes. Made from 100% textile, the boots are protected by hardy Vibram Furoshiki soles, which are also the only soles that wrap around your entire foot. Since the fabric that the upper is made of is stretchy, these boots can conform to any foot type for a personalized fit – think of it as a hug for your feet. You can expect these boots to be extremely warm, too, a feature you can attribute to the fabric they’re made of.
- Easily washable with a machine, and can be air dried;
- A versatile design allows you to wear these minimalist boots with most outfits.
20. Hush Puppies Women's Mazin Cayto Ankle Boot
Hush Puppies shoes are the kinds that carry you through all of life’s moments. They’re remarkably durable, and timeless in style. These minimal boots are casual and fun, with a comfort and quality that’ll keep you going through the years. They’ve been expertly crafted with 100% leather: soft nubuck leather uppers and genuine leather sock lining. And for your walking confidence, the rubber soles offer wonderful traction and durability.
- The 1-inch heel height adds a feminine touch without making the boots uncomfortable;
- Removable anatomically molded EVA footbeds give your feet extra cushioning.